Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

The NHL Trade Deadline Day 2014

For non-hockey fans, this is just any ordinary day.  For NHL fans, it's a day most have been waiting for to see if their teams will make some AMAZING trades and where it will lead them in the hunt for the playoffs and the Stanley Cup.

For me, it meant something different this year.

The possibility that my favourite Ottawa Senators player, Chris Phillips, could get traded to another team.
Chris has been one of my favourites since the day he was drafted and quickly made it to the top of that list. 

Ever since the day Ottawa found out that a group of business men would be going after an NHL franchise, I KNEW they would become my favourite team if we were lucky enough to be awarded the franchise. 

As a fan, I've been through some tough years and some awesome years.  I wouldn't have it any other way.
For a good number of those years, Chris Phillips has been part of the team.  Now all of a sudden, there was a chance that would change yesterday.

I was hoping the team would re-sign him as I can't imagine the Sens without him on the blueline...nor can I imagine him wearing another jersey.

I was nervous during the days leading up to the trade deadline.  I had a bad feeling the Sens were going to be trading my favourite player away.
 
You can imagine my relief when the news came down that he would be a Senator for another 2 years.  I was so happy.  It seems a lot of people know me well as I started getting emails, tweets, text messages and visits to my office to see if I was happy.

Well of course I was.  I even went to Big Rig, his restaurant, to celebrate and watch part of the Sens / Flames game.  Unfortunately, the game didn't go as well as I had hoped, but I can be happy knowing that I'll be able to wear one of my Phillips jerseys to the games for another two years.

Congrats on the extension Chris and happy you're staying.

Julie/@Flip_4

No comments:

Post a Comment